Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Local Food Advisor

Wed 04 March 2009

You might have noticed that there's a new badge on the right hand side of this page saying that I'm a friend of Local Food Advisor. You might have gathered that I'm pretty enthusiastic about local food, sustainable agriculture and other food ethics types of issues.

If, like me, you try to shop locally, support small businesses, buy locally (and, where possible organically) produced food and you like to eat happy chickens and British pigs then Local Food Advisor is a good place to start. I put in my home postcode and five pages of results turned up, containing everything from farmers' markets, to butchers and pie sellers! Pages dedicated to producers cover contact information, details of awards and any rare breeds farmed, as well as some general information.

Many producers seem to be offering online sales so it will probably pay to have a good dig around the site by food category as well as location. At present there are almost 4000 producers represented on the site.

I think a resource like this is a great way to support small local businesses - give it a go!
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

5 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Great tip, its a fantastic resource. Thank you.

8:31 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

You might not say that once you start ordering things from all the different producers! :)

1:25 pm  
Blogger Andrew said...

What a great find - and not just for the Foodie List either - I've just discovered several places near me that I've never heard of!

6:29 pm  
Blogger cwildman said...

Yeah its a great site and Paganum are listed!!!

10:21 am  
Blogger Alex said...

Just in case anyone missed that, Foodie Farmer - you can visit Paganum here!

8:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home