Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Round Up

Tues 4 Dec 2007

A very quick round up ...

Firstly, congratulations to me! I've just passed (with distinction) my WSET Intermediate Certificate in Wines and Spirits. I studied with the Northern Wine Academy and I'll be heading back next year to move on to Advanced.

If anyone in the West Yorkshire area is interested in a bit of restaurant reviewing it will be worth getting in contact with Owen Jackson, of Mystery Guest Services. The idea is that mystery guests visit restaurants and compile comprehensive reports on what the venues are doing right and wrong. For further details, email Owen at owen@mysteryguestservices.co.uk.

The Dynasty Chinese restaurant in Headingley (St Anne's Road) has closed down and very quickly re-opened as Sukhothai (a sister venue to the restaurant of the same name in Chapel Allerton). This pushes Headingley's Thai restaurant count to four ...

And finally, don't forget our Hotel Chocolat competition ... you have until 10 December to produce chocolate recipes and wine chocolate prizes. Tomorrow I'll be posting a chocolate brownie recipe to give you some inspiration!
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

7 Comments:

Blogger The Yorkshire Foodie said...

Well done on the WSET course, Alex - I am thinking of doing this next year - I see they do it as a correspondence course - do you think that it is feasible/practical to do it that way or do you need to be there?

10:01 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

I'd really recommend doing an instructor led course.

Firstly - you don't have to source the wines yourself!

Also, having a group discuss the wines is a really useful way of learning and forming an opinion. That smell that you can't quite put your finger on will often be identified immediately by someone else, which really helps!

And I think having a friendly instructor is really encouraging. Also, because the instructor should know the course inside out it will help when it comes to exam revision!

5:28 pm  
Blogger The Yorkshire Foodie said...

Thanks - that's what I'd thought I suppose but useful to have it confirmed. Good luck with the advanced course next year.

5:31 pm  
Blogger Sophie said...

You're very brave Alex! I did the WSET Intermediate Certificate last year but the advanced is a whole different ball game

9:36 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

Yes - I'm already quite stressed about the idea of the tasting exam! But I'm aiming to get plenty of reading in in advance!

1:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and tasting...?

11:03 am  
Blogger Alex said...

Tasting goes without saying!!!

1:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home