Monday, November 05, 2007

Round Up

Mon 5 Nov 2007

A round up with a twist this week ... it's not going to be about Leeds but rather all about Eating Leeds!

You may remember that recently we co-hosted a competition with Hotel Chocolat. Readers could win champagne and chocolates for a loved one by providing a good reason for the nomination. The Eating Leeds winner is Frances Lynch and Hotel Chocolat will be sending out the prize for her boyfriend, Dan.

Even further back in time, I mentioned that I was studying for the Professional Certificate in Gastronomy, jointly run by the University of Adelaide and Le Cordon Bleu. It was suggested that I should blog about the experience, but that quickly became something I was loathe to do. Even with a partial scholarship I'd paid a lot of money to do a course which I felt had rather limited academic value. If you are considering the course I'd be happy to answer any specific questions and offer advice. I suspect that there are many people who would enjoy and benefit from the course - I'm just not one of them! Anyway, I did complete the certificate (with a distinction!) and last week my Le Cordon Bleu medallion and pin arrived. I wasn't expecting this at all, and I think they look rather smart!

Having had a couple of months' break from formal study, today I started the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 certificate, run by the Northern Wine Academy. Despite a well-timed cold, meaning I can smell and taste very little, I found the first part of this three day course very interesting. In one day we covered a lot of material (certainly not for the faint hearted) and tasted eleven wines. There's quite a lot of reading to revise and cover before next Monday when, apparently, we'll be tasting 14 wines!

And finally, last Wednesday, Andy and I headed down to London to take part in the filming of a new TV show: Cooking the Books. We'll be in the first episode (screening on 5 towards the end of the month - don't worry - I won't let anyone forget!) and hopefully we come across well! Or rather, hopefully I will, as Andy let me do the talking (and endured a few days of over excitement).

Finally, tomorrow night we're off to the launch of the Charming Armley Cake Calendar. Sales of the calendar will be raising money for the charity Armley Helping Hands, and you can find details of where to buy a calendar on the Armley Tourist Board site.
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you enjoy the filming of the TV programme? I was emailed an invitation but just couldn't fit it round my work schedule... grr!

4:43 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

Yes, we did enjoy the filming but it turned into rather a long day. It was also a bit strange carting food from Leeds to London on the train!

7:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home