Monday, March 19, 2007

Wedgewood Scones

Sun 18 Mar 2007

After the squash soup it was time to move on to the March/April issue of Tea Time magazine and it was also time for a sweet recipe.

I opted for the Wedgewood scones (taken from an article featuring Lord Wedgewood) because the combination of scone, basil and lemon really intrigued me.

I preheated the oven to 190C and set about making my scone mixture. I used 2 1/2 cups of self raising flour, mixed with 1/2 cup of caster sugar, 2 tsp of baking powder and a pinch of salt combined with 110g of unsalted butter. Once this had been processed to a crumbly mixture I added the zest of one lemon and some finely chopped basil. To bring the mixture together I added just over 2/3 of a cup of cream.

The mixture was very crumbly but it did come together when I kneaded it on the bench. I rolled the mixture out to about half an inch thick before cutting out my scones (using my largest cutter - the recipe specified a 2 1/4 inch cutter).

Place the scones on baking sheets lined with baking paper and glaze with some more cream and a dusting of sugar. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until lightly browned.

The scones didn't really rise at all, and were definitely not scone like (or at least, not what I was expecting!). However, in the picture in the magazine they didn't look like they were ready to be split and filled with jam and cream.

Flavour-wise, I think I may have been a little heavy handed with the basil, but otherwise the combination of basil and lemon was fantastic! The scones turned out more like giant biscuits, and I think in future I'd be tempted to use a different recipe but with the same flavourings. Or maybe make a plain scone and serve with a cream flavoured with basil and lemon.

While I don't think this was as big a hit as the soup, the recipe was certainly interesting and has given me plenty to think about.

tagged with: , ,

Labels: , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home