Thursday, March 15, 2007

Combinations 11: Roast garlic soup with Gruyere

Thurs 14 Mar 2007

Andrew over at Spittoon has asked me to host this month's Combinations. I'm having quite a busy time of it so I knew I wanted to choose something simple to cook but that was going to be an interesting wine matching challenge.

I was also a bit short on inspiration (the first assignment for the Gastronomy course was due in yesterday!), but fortunately Mark Hix and the Independent came to my rescue: roast garlic soup with Gruyere. Soup is easy to make, I love soup, I love roast garlic ... but, my god, what on earth do you drink with it?! I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and still haven't come up with any good ideas ... I'll have to invest some more time thinking about it!

Anyway, here is the recipe to get you thinking ...

Preheat oven to 180C, halve 2 bulbs of garlic and roast for about 40 minutes.

Melt butter and gently saute 2 onions (peeled and finely chopped) until they are softened. Add 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour and stir well before adding 1.5 L of hot stock, continuing with the stirring. Season and simmer for about 20 minutes, before adding the roast garlic (peeled of course!) and simmer for another 30 minutes. Blend until smooth, correct seasoning and serve, sprinkling grated Gruyere on top.

I imagine I'll be serving this with some good bread ... but what wine?

Because I'm posting this quite late I'll make the deadline Monday 2 April - just to allow another weekend to squeeze in the soup making!

tagged with: , ,

Labels: , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

oooo, interesting....

9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home