Thursday, February 15, 2007

News Round

Thurs 15 Feb 2007

Quite a busy wrap up this week ...

My course folder arrived for the Professional Certificate in Gastronomy! It's HUGE! So while I'm a bit scared by the amount of reading required, I'm trying to get a head start before things kick off in a week or so ... we have something like 10 small (500 word) assignments and one 3000 word essay to complete between now and the end of June ... so it should keep me out of mischief!

My first post has appeared on Paper Palate. If you read this site regularly you'll know I'm always making things from Australian Gourmet Traveller, but from now on you'll be able to get a monthly review of the current magazine.

A while back Joyce posted a comment about the Waitrose Next Great Food Writer competition. You have until 1 March to get your entries in so you'd best get scribbling, as you need to produce 1500 words AND include an original recipe.

In my wanderings around Leeds I've noticed that The Vine (pub) on the Headrow has closed down. I never made it in there, although it was quite a popular live music venue. We'll have to wait and see what happens - hopefully not yet another strip club ...

I'm hoping to get some cooking done over the next few days, but not entirely sure what so you'll have to stay tuned. But we are definitely heading to Hansa's on Saturday night. This is one of Leeds' oldest Indian restaurants and I really enjoyed my last visit (about 3 years ago) so let's hope that it's still good.

Last weekend, I picked up a bottle of Grosset Polish Hill Riesling at Hoults. At £17 a bottle it wasn't exactly cheap, but having spent a long time in South Australia trying to get hold of a bottle I was impressed to find it by accident! I was even more impressed when reading The Advertier's Top 100 wines - this wine scored 99 points and was the top riesling. Obviously now I just have to find something to eat with it. This experience just goes to show that it really is worth the effort of seeking out and visiting the smaller, independent wine merchants.

And finally ... another week, another website. This time I've chosen Kate's Critiques. While the Kate in question hasn't reviewed a huge number of restaurants, I hope she keeps on going and adds a few more soon.
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home