Thursday, February 07, 2008

Pancake Day

Tues 5 Feb 2008

Tuesday was, of course, Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday). Easter is ridiculously early this year!

While I had no intention of using up all my eggs, butter and sugar we still had to have pancakes on Tuesday. Normally, when making a crêpe batter, I do it by feel. After all, it's not complicated to crack one egg (or two), beat in some flour, and let down with milk to get the right consistency. I like to make the mix in advance and leave it in the fridge overnight.

However, I thought that actually following a recipe wouldn't kill me, and set about narrowing the field to just one.

I ended up choosing a sweet crêpe batter from Auguste Escoffier's Ma Cuisine. Let's face it - a French crêpe has got to be a good one!

For two, take 70g of plain flour and mix with 30g of caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Beat in 2 eggs, a tablespoon of rum (or brandy or kirsch - and you can probably be more generous) and let down with milk. Finish with a teaspoon of melted butter and then cook.

We both prefer our pancakes with lemon and sugar (although I was tempted to go the Nutella route for a while), and we decided to add extra milk after we cooked the first couple as the crêpes were too thick. The sweet batter was a pleasant change from the standard savoury - although the disadvantage is that if you make too much mixture you're limited to desserts to use up the spare pancakes.

Hmm, I guess 'disadvantage' might be the wrong word to use!

tagged with: , ,
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

I do wonder why people buy ready made pancakes (I saw someone buy a pack in Waitrose earlier today). Waitrose also has ready made pancake batter. Are they really that difficult to make?

For me it has to be lemon and sugar.

5:09 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

Ready made pancakes always look horrible - and the same goes for those bottles where you just add water or milk and shake them up!

I'm with you on the lemon and sugar ... although a touch of cream is nice too. I think the Nutella is best left for eating out of the jar!

7:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home