Wednesday, December 06, 2006

News Round

The big exciting, and food related, news of this week is that not one but TWO of EatingLeeds' friends have scored partial scholarships for the University of Adelaide/Le Cordon Bleu Professional Certificate of Gastronomy course! A competition was run by Sumptuous magazine, in association with Le Cordon Bleu, with the main prize being a full scholarship. But both Maureen Prichard (that's my mum!) and I were among those Highly Commended who won partial scholarships. At the risk of sounding self-congratulatory, well done to us! The course takes place over three months at the beginning of next year. Fortunately (or is that unfortunately?!) I can study online, as the commute to the University of Adelaide might be a bit tough!

In other more immediate news, if you've been living under a rock you won't have noticed the hullabaloo about the Threshers 40% off voucher. You can head over to Spittoon to download it, but you have to make use of it before 10 December. Note that you can make use of it at Thresher Group outlets, so that includes WineRack and Bottoms Up. And you can spend up to £500. No catch (and yes, I have already used mine!).

While you're thinking about saving money, if you live in Leeds and have more than a passing interest in food you might want to consider signing up (or signing up a loved one) for Harvey Nick's Bite club. Sign up before the 9th and you'll receive a £30 voucher towards dinner in January - and the restaurant has just been voted best in Leeds!

Enough of the bargain hunting!

My random blog of the week is Tastes of Life. At the minute it's very wine oriented (well - it is the season for imbibing!), but it's interesting to to read the thoughts of an 'ordinary' drinker (in quotes, because Victoria does seem very keen).

In EatingLeeds news - stay tuned for (finally!) a description of dinner at the Grange Restaurant, Cheong Lieuw's fusion flagship restaurant in Adelaide, and also tales of eating and drinking in Newcastle (Tyne and Wear, not New South Wales). And I will be making some more shortbread too!
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

Blogger Reb said...

That's fantastic about the scholarship - congratulations! I'd love to know what you think about the course as you do it and the online experience - please blog about it! It's fairly expensive so I'm sure the funding will help. Good for you (amd your mum)

9:14 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

Thank you! I'm sure I will be blogging about it! It's the first time I'll have done a purely on-line course, and I'll be very interested to see how I go getting hold of academic material and participating in on-line discussions when I'm on the other side of the world!

I hope all the study leaves some time for cooking & eating!!!

9:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home