Tuesday, May 23, 2006

More Chocolate Biscuits



Mon 15 May 2006


A bit of a delay in posting this - a lot has gone on since - but these were brilliant little biscuits that just NEED to be shared.

This recipe is basically Dan Lepard's recipe for Tollhouse YoYos which was published in the Guardian a few weeks ago. However, these biscuits are nothing like what a proper Aussie will recognise as a YoYo (yes, the ones that the bees make the honey for ...). Also, somewhat bizarrely, Dan's recipe included CUSTARD POWDER. Not that I'm a food snob or anything, but ... AND he didn't give a reason for including it, so it was left out ... otherwise I didn't really butcher his recipe.

So - take 75g of rolled oats and pulverise them. I used my stab mixer - the bowl of your food processor is likely to be too big. I am thinking you can probably get away with using oat bran here.

In the food processor beat 150g of unsalted butter with 175g of icing sugar, until light and creamy. I was actually patient and waited for it all to come together. Add 175g of plain flour, the ground oats and 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence, along with some milk (original recipe says 2 tablespoons, but I ended up using the equivalent of about 4), and 150g of dark chocolate which has been broken up. Combine this all to a soft dough. It's quite a crumbly mix, so just add enough milk to make it come together when you put some pressure on it.

Roll the mixture into a log, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180C and cut dough into discs and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Trust me - you don't need the custard powder!


Dan's original recipe went on to sandwich the biscuits with a mix of icing sugar and milk. I don't think they need that either ... they're pretty rich and very very tasty - excellent for dunking. The processed oats give them a fantastic texture too. Though I was thinking that a drop of coffee, or rum, probably wouldn't go astray ... I was a bit undecided about whether or not they were sweet enough but a vox pop suggested they were OK as they were. Although Andy suggested making the roll bigger and the biscuits thinner ...

I originally halved this recipe ... it's nowhere near enough biscuit for quality control & work mates.
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home