Sunday, March 05, 2006

Spicy Curry

To allow Alex to recover from her stenuous move, I offered to cook a Thai red curry on Saturday night. I'd never done this before but was quite impressed with the results. Sadly, I didn't remember to take any pictures so you'll just have to use your imagination. If you've had a red curry before, it looked like that but nicer.

I had some pork thighs in the fridge which I cubed and set aside. Then I chopped a large onion into thin slices. I also chopped a shallot, two cloves of garlic and three bird-eye chillies (with the seeds removed). A red pepper was cubed ready.

I fired the onion and shallot in very hot oil until it started to brown and added the pork and cubed pepper which was cooked until the pork started to brown. Then the garlic, chilli and some grated ginger all went in, followed by two desert spoons on Tiger Tiger red curry paste. It was all stirred up so that all the meat was coated. This was followed with a generous splash of Shaoxing rice wine and a desert spoon of nam pla.

Next, I added about a quarter of a tin of coconut milk and crumbled three kaffir lime leaves into the mix. A quick taste of the sauce showed that it was a bit on the salty side, so a couple of teaspoons of sugar soon sorted that out. Finally some green was provided by chopped coriander and spring onions. The mixture was left to simmer whilst some rice was boiled up.

I made a simple garnish for each plate by taking a 8cm length of spring onion (the green, hollow end) and cutting lengthways so that about 1cm remained uncut. Placing these in cold water causes the cut strips to curl up and look pretty after about ten minutes.

The curry was served with boiled rice and a robust red wine. If you don't like your food too spicey, you might want to reduce the number of chillies but both Alex and I thought the results were pretty damn tasty.
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home