Monday, February 13, 2006

Rather a lot of beer

Not a riveting week in terms of eating ... and a rather southern focus ...

Wed 8 Feb 2006

Not a happy day in my food history ... as I suffered only my second ever bout of food poisoning. Since I am in the middle of complaining to the restaurant I can't name names but dinner out at a chain noodle bar in Guildford, Surrey turned me into a rather sick girl. The doctor told me it would quieten my appetite down for a couple of days but fortunately it wasn't the case ...

Fri 10 Feb 2006

Cooking at home and on the agenda a 'country style' fennel and potato tart - inspired by Wine Spectator. I liked the sound of this as it used bread rather than pastry for the tart's base - though I made the mistake of using nasty mass produced bread instead of 'proper' bread - next time I'll go for something nice and holey, like ciabatta. Otherwise ... finely slice an onion and a bulb of fennel and sweat in some butter until it all softens. Add some sliced peeled potato (about 5 mm thick), cover with milk and simmer until the potato is tender.

Lightly grease a baking dish and toast and butter your bread. Line the baking dish with the bread (buttered side down). Beat some eggs (I used three and all of this was going in a 26cm baking dish) and when the potato is tender add some of the hot milk from the potato to the eggs, beating away. Once you've warmed the eggs up a bit add the eggs to the potato mixture on the stove. The eggs will start to scramble, so keep stirring while you do this. Once you've mixed it all the way through tip into the baking dish and smooth out the top. Finish off with loads of grated cheese (I was a bit stingy on this count apparently) and bake in a hot oven for about 15 minutes - until it's all bubbling away.

Because of the milk content it's quite a loose mixture, so don't wait for it to firm up like a frittata.

The Wine Spectator recommended drinking a young shiraz with this but I went for a 2002 Dr Loosen Erdener Treppchen Kabinett riesling. The wine was fragrant (and delicious) and matched the egg and fennel combination well.

Sat 11 Feb 2006

No smart eating tonight either ... a high tea of scrambled eggs, smoked salmon, bacon and toast followed by a night out in London at the Warwick - which basically involved drinking beer. :)


Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home