Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Eggs Factor

You may have noticed that things are a little quiet at the moment and that is partly due to the fact that, last week, I received the eggs-citing (well, it had to be done!) news that I am a in the Leeds regional final for ... the Eggs Factor!

The competition is being run by the British Egg Information Service and a series of regional heats is being held to find the Face of Eggs. Regional winners receive £500 (in itself not to be sneezed at!) and go on to compete in the national final in London where the main prize is a whopping £5000!

Clearly, this is something worth putting a smidgin of effort into! My first task will be to poach and plate an egg in 10 minutes. After this, I'll be cooking my signature egg dish (which I might keep secret!). This is complicated because we have 15 minutes preparation time, but we have only 10 minutes from receiving our eggs to plating up! Quite a tall order!

Needless to say, we're making our way through a fair few eggs at home and the practising is going ... OK. I'm a bit worried about the egg poaching, as the eggs seem to have quite a mind of their own about the extent to which they want to fall apart! At the moment I'm at a 50-50 split between 'acceptable' and 'a bit of a state'!

I'm also doing quite a lot of other cooking, and I've fitted in visits to quite a few restaurants, so as soon as I stop poaching eggs there should be something of a flood of new material ...

As a taster ... the next post will be our visit to The Mill Race in Kirkstall! Make sure you sign up for our email newsletter or our RSS feed!
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

3 Comments:

Blogger dhonig said...

COOL! Good luck.

9:06 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

Thank you!

12:00 pm  
Blogger rich (them apples) said...

Ahh, eggs. So delicious, so hard to cook really well (I can't poach eggs to save my life. Tried it all - the whole whirlpool in the pan thing, being nice to chickens, praying hard...everything. I guess you've either got it or you haven't - the very best of luck. Come back a winner.

7:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home