Sunday, March 02, 2008

Fairtrade Everyday Cookbook

Wed 27 Feb 2008

As you know, I have a recipe published in the Fairtrade Everyday Cookbook and I was lucky enough to attend the launch on Wednesday evening. The winners from last year's competition were all invited to attend and I thought it would be a good chance for a bit of celeb spotting, as the book also contains celebrity recipes from people such as Sheherazade Goldsmith, Sir Steve Redgrave, Joanne Harris and Natasha Kaplinsky, as well as quite a few well known chefs (such as Allegra McEvedy, Ruth Rogers and Rose Gray, Antony Worrall Thompson and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall).

The party kicked off with plenty of Fairhills Fairtrade wine and the book was launched by Sophie Grigson (the consultant editor) and Harriet Lamb (the Executive Director of the Fairtrade Foundation). Canapés were all recipes from the book, and there was also a raffle (somehow I missed out on the KitchenAid, I don't know how that happened!).

During the evening I met Harriet Lamb and Eileen Maybin (also from the Fairtrade Foundation), but, apart from Sophie Grigson, the celebrity contributors appeared to be thin on the ground. The very notable exception was Oz Clarke.

Fortunately, there was enough red wine to encourage me to introduce myself and boss Andy into garnering the proof!
Oz Clarke & me
Oz Clarke & me!

I also met Sophie, from Mostly Eating, who appeared to be the only other food blogger there! While she's not quite as famous as Oz, she and her husband Nik were great company. Her recipe is for a summer prawn and mango noodle salad AND it's on the page before mine (p145, mine is p146) - how eerie is that?

It's Fairtrade Fortnight up until 9 March and there are plenty of things you can do to get involved ... if all else fails - buy the book and make Sophie's and my recipes!

tagged with: , ,
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a bit odd that our recipes are right next to each other...

You and Andy did a great job of fighting through the crowds to meet Oz, and getting a picture! Did you have a nice dinner with your friends after the party? We only made it to Leon's about three doors down the road!

12:25 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

The meal at Maxwell's was pretty good (I hope to blog about it soon). It was surprisingly quiet for Covent Garden but not too outrageous in terms of cost either!

I think I'm quite lucky that I had to leave otherwise I might have drunk a bit too much of the Fairtrade wine!

9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home