Friday, January 18, 2008

International Year of the Potato

Thurs 17 Jan 2008

I have found out that 2008 is the International Year of the Potato. And no, it hasn't been designated thus by some marketing people ... it has been the decision of the UN!

I like potatoes: they're cheap, versatile and good for you (even after you've thrown butter, cream, duck fat or cheese at them they are still a good source of vitamin C, protein and potassium - and the potassium will help you absorb the calcium from all the dairy ...).

They are also an increasingly important food for people in developing countries.

There are hundreds of different type of potato, so if you do nothing else to celebrate the Year of the Potato seek out a variety you've not tried before - or even grow it yourself!

tagged with: , ,
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone once said to me 'I've never met a potato I didn't like'!

12:23 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

So true!

I hope you stay tuned as I'm going to post a potato oriented blog event in the next couple of days ... do join in!

8:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not going anywhere! Don't know if I'll be able to join in since I don't have a blog, I just hang around everyone else's!

9:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home