Friday, June 15, 2007

Combinations 13: Garlic Buttered Prawns

Sun 10 June 2007

Combinations 13 is upon us (and I'm getting in early this month!). Hosted by Andrew at Spittoon, he's chosen the Garlic Buttered Prawns from Global Grub. I've already cooked some emergency pasta from the book, and reviewed it on Paper Palate, so the book's getting something of a thrashing but here we go!

The recipe is really simple - most of my time was occupied shelling and de-veining the prawns! Once they were ready, I heated some oil and butter in a fry pan and tossed them in, giving them a good stir every now and then. I followed this up with a splash of Thai fish sauce, some black pepper, 2 cloves of garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. At the last minute I stirred in some chopped coriander. We served it on a simple lettuce, onion, tomato salad - undressed because you end up with all the lovely buttery, lemony, garlicky sauce from the prawns.

To drink, we opted for Domenico de Bertiol prosecco (around £7 from Hoults). It's a fresh, light, citrussy wine with some residual sweetness and it went really well with the prawns - the citrus cutting through the richness of the butter and prawns, the sweetness mixing well with the fish sauce and lemon. A very happy match.


It was horrible with the salad - if you ever want to experience a bad food and wine match, have some lettuce and onion and a sip of prosecco and you'll understand instantly how important it is to get the match right! Of course, if we'd made a slightly cleverer salad (rather than whatever was in the fridge) we would probably have been OK!

tagged with: , , , ,

Labels: , , , ,

Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Funny, I almost went for a Prosecco myself! Instead a slightly off-the-wall white Cotes Du Rhone was my choice

11:30 am  
Blogger Alex said...

I had some kind of bubbly in mind all along (because I dislike viognier!), but probably wouldn't have thought of the slightly sweeter wine without some help from the wine merchants!

11:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home