Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Yarmouth Biscuits


Tues 23 Jan 2007

You might remember that my haul of cooking related Christmas presents contained a copy of Women's Institute Book of 650 Favourite Recipes. I've had a good read of this book but not got around to making anything ... until I decided I wanted to use some eggs to make some biscuits.

The recipe for Yarmouth biscuits stood out for its sheer simplicity, though I was alarmed by the quantities involved and figured I didn't really need thirty biscuits. So I took the recipe and vaguely made up 2/3 of the mixture.

So - take 150g of unsalted butter and blend with 150g of caster sugar. Add 2 eggs and combine well. Add 250g of plain flour and, when that's well combined, add 100g of currants (the original recipe calls for a greater proportion of currants but I was limited by what I had left over). The mixture is very stiff and I think that it would actually respond quite well to being rolled up in some cling film and refrigerated for a while. This would allow you to slice off biscuits, rather than making large walnut size patties with your hands.

Have the oven preheated to 190C and bake the biscuits for 20 minutes.

These are not hugely sweet biscuits, although the currants add a good, caramel-vanilla hit.

I haven't been able to find out any 'Yarmouth biscuit' lore - a google search suggests that they're East Anglian (so Norfolk Yarmouth, rather than Isle of Wight) and that's the extent of it!

tagged with: , ,
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I love your blog! Your recipes are so interesting!

I thought you or your other fans might be interested in this competition I stumbled upon at the supermarket yesterday for budding food writers.

There's even a £20,000 book contract up for grabs!
I know I can't resist it!

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/wfi/foodpeople/writersandcritics/0701034.asp

12:39 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

Ooooh, not sure if I should be publishing the competition link!!!!

I'm glad you like the blog and recipes!

12:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home