Monday, May 08, 2006

Yo-Ho Biscuits

Mon 08 May 2006

Ooo ... this month Sugar High Friday's theme is ginger!

I spotted a recipe for three ginger biscuits while tootling round about a week ago - there are actually loads of them out there on the web, mostly involving a huge amount of sugar and either of those crazy American butter measurements - cups or sticks (anyone who would like to give me a metric equivalent of a cup or a stick - please do!).

However, since recipes are largely optional exercises for me, I wasn't going to let a lack of instructions put me off. I actually meant to put golden syrup in these as well, which was included in one of the original recipes, but I forgot, and I think they're quite sweet enough without it!

This recipe made 24 small biscuits (dollop with a teaspoon rather than a tablespoon) - they do spread quite a bit so do leave some space!

Preheat oven to 180C.

Cream 100g butter and 100g of sugar (I used caster, although I'd be tempted to use soft brown sugar next time) and add 1 egg. Mix and add 100g of plain flour with 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder/bicarbonate of soda, 1 teaspoon of ground ginger and 2 tablespoons of rum (dark, of course!). When well combined at 50g of chopped glace ginger. Finally add a 2 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated (this is where you need a Microplane grater!).

Plop the mix onto your lined baking sheets and bake. As I was experimenting the first batch went in for 10 minutes and the second batch for 15. Jenny and I decided that the first batch were more Jaffa cake like, while the second batch were more conventional biscuit like. I'd probably go for 15 minutes next time - very much a matter of taste though.

This little invention gets a solid thumbs up in the flat ... feedback from hungry workmates tomorrow!

The flavour definitely improves the next day, and next time I think I'll use twice as much glace ginger. I'm also tempted to experiment by leaving the rum out of one half of the mix (Andy says I could increase the rum!). And even though they were sweet ... maybe that tablespoon or so of golden syrup wouldn't go astray ...


tagged with
Stumble Upon ToolbarStumble It!

4 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

They were delicious. I think I preferred the ones cooked for ten minutes as I'm a sucker for soft biccies.

12:17 pm  
Blogger Ruth Daniels said...

Alex, they do look yummy!

Here are the conversions you mentioned;
1 cup = 240g
1/2 cup = 120g
1 stick = 1/4 cup = 60g

Now when you Brits say knob of butter does that mean about 1 tbsp or 20g?

8:51 pm  
Blogger Alex said...

Ooh, Ruth - I honestly don't know ... to me, a knob of butter is sort of a bit of butter you cut off to put in the pan, and then I guess it depends a bit on what you're planning on cooking in said pan (more for scrambled eggs, less for bacon!) ... size wise I'd guess at about 1 tbsp, though I don't know what that would equate to in grams!

8:57 pm  
Blogger G said...

Looks so good. YUM.

My Life As A Reluctant Housewife

6:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home